Believe it or not, for over a year now I’ve been wishing to make these incredible tasting toffee squares but never got around to it. With just a few simple ingredients and an even simpler method, this fail safe recipe was a complete hit with the entire household (Becky and myself.. mainly myself). Hour after hour, the squares would decrease rapidly, the butter and brown sugar mixture too good to resist.
At least it isn’t white sugar so it is ever slightly healthier.. right?
Recipe below, from Slow Like Honey
Makes 48 squares
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 bar dark chocolate (300g) – you can be liberal with this
1 cup chopped almonds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment.
2. Prepare the crust. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla, and salt. On low speed, gradually beat in the flour just until mixed. The dough will be stiff. Pat the dough evenly over the bottom of the baking pan.
3. Bake in the center of the oven until pale gold on top, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the oven and scatter the chocolate pieces evenly over the crust. Return the pan to the oven for 1 minute. Remove the pan again and, using a knife, spread the chocolate evenly over the crust. Sprinkle evenly with the almonds.
5. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Using a sharp knife, cut into small squares. Enjoy